This year has been unlike anything we’ve ever experienced before in our lifetimes. Since Covid-19 began, we have tripled the amount of food we deliver each month as the pandemic exacerbates what is already a worsening problem in the UK – food poverty. Demand for food support continues to soar as the most vulnerable people struggle to make ends meet and more people lose their jobs and need to resort to food banks, hubs and community kitchens.
As we approach Christmas, people’s attention will be turning towards the season’s festivities, albeit they may be somewhat more subdued this year. But many more people this year will be facing real hardship as a result of the pandemic, and for them, Christmas will be unbelievably tough.
We have been so grateful for all of the support we have received – financial donations, volunteer time, food and in-kind services. We have the biggest waiting list for volunteers we have ever had and that amount of love from people is what keeps us motivated to do more.
Although we are a year-round operation, we know that people tend to reach out to charities even more at this time of year.
As we approach Christmas we have lots of different ways people can help out – watch this space for our match-funded Christmas Appeal launching 1st December – where every donation will be doubled.
In the mean time, take a look at some of the best free and simple ways you can support us.
- Follow and engage with us online. We are on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn and would love to see what you think of our content.
- Be a FareShare Sussex champion. The more people that find out about our work, the better. So tell your friends, tell your workplace or place of learning, tell your sports club, tell your choir. Shout about us in your Facebook communities, and please share our social media posts. The more people who get involved, the better. With more support we can reach more people in need.
- Sign up to our newsletter. This is quick, easy and the best way to stay informed on what we’re doing, the impact it has and what’s coming up. Expect a monthly update with stories from our charity members and volunteers, ways to get involved and lots of insight into how we run our busy warehouse.
- Support us while you shop online this Christmas – You can help FareShare without spending an extra penny by using Easy Fundraising to carry out your normal online shopping. With thousands of retailers taking part, including M&S, John Lewis, Amazon and Ebay, simply choose FareShare Sussex as your cause and get shopping. You can also sign up to Amazon Smile where small donations are made on your behalf from certain purchases.
- Donate food at local supermarkets. Every year before Xmas, Tesco customers are invited to buy an extra non-perishable food item with their shopping to donate. Tesco then tops up the total with a 20% financial donation. Look out for the Christmas collection points at small ‘Express’ Tesco stores between 16-21 November and in large stores 19-21 November. Most stores still have collection points all year round if you miss this week.
- Leave us a Google review. This helps us to be found more easily online.
- If you are in the hospitality sector, we have partnered with City Food Share and can provide you with a free Tap & Share unit, where customers can voluntarily tap their contactless card to donate £3 to local emergency food providers.
- Don’t need anything for Christmas? Why not consider setting up a Facebook fundraiser where friends and family can make a donation on your behalf to FareShare Sussex.